SEL Movement Game: May I Have This Dance?
In addition to offering programs that help students build Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) skills through dance, Dancing with Class has developed a series of movement games that any educator can use to reinforce SEL skills in a fun and active way. “May I Have This Dance?” is a relationship skills game that help students develop teamwork and social engagement skills.
SEL Competency: Relationship Skills > Teamwork & Social Engagement
Objective: To elevate energy and to practice listening while thinking about different dances through a fun elimination game
Space: Big and open floor space with no dangerous objects
Preparation: Make sure you know the commands well
Follow the guidelines from the video.
Dance Game: May I Have This Dance?
- First, run through all commands as a “warm-up” round with no eliminations. During the real elimination round, first call out commands everyone can do.
- The first command: “May I Have This Dance?”- students cannot move until “thank you” is called out. “Thank you” means students can relax. Call this command in between each dance to reset the students.
- After “thank you” is called, a dance command with the number of people per team (ex: waltz 3) follows.
- Dance commands:
- Salsa 2: Team of 2 students dancing salsa.
- Waltz 3: Team of 3 holding hands taking one step towards each other, and on same foot take a step away back or away from each other.
- Merengue 4: Team of 4 holding hands doing a traveling side march in one direction of the circle.
- Tango: Point to a wall without hazards and students tango to that wall. Last one to reach it is out.
- Swing: Jump in the air and yell “Chicago JUMP”
- Breakdance: Point to the ground and student show off their best breakdance moves.
- To end a current dance command call “May I Have This Dance?” and “thank you” (ex: “Salsa 2” “May I Have This Dance?” “thank you” “Merengue 4” “May I Have This Dance?”).
- Eliminate students who do not find a team during the dance commands or when a student moves in “May I Have This Dance?” position without waiting for the “thank you” command.
- Remind students inappropriate behavior (pushing or pulling others in an unsafe way) is an automatic elimination.
- Can replace commands with other dances the students have learned.
More SEL Movement Games from Dancing with Class:
- Self-Awareness: What is Your Emoji?
- Social Awareness: Mirrors
- Self-Management: Don’t You Budge
- Responsible Decision Making: Super Dance Powers
EduMotion: SEL Journeys – experiential learning for classrooms around the world.
Also, check out some of our videos from our programs!