SEL Movement Game: Super Dance Powers
In addition to offering programs that help students build Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) skills through dance, Dancing with Class has developed a series of movement games that any educator can use to reinforce SEL skills in a fun and active way. “Super Dance Powers” is a responsible decision making game that helps students build their problem solving skills.
Super Dance Powers
SEL Competency: Responsible Decision-Making > Solving Problems & Ethical Responsibility
Objective: To get students moving and thinking about ways they can improve the world
Space: Open floor space
Equipment: Age appropriate music, music speaker
Preparation: Select age appropriate music, create a short choreographed routine with music
Follow the guidelines from the video.
Dance Game: Super Dance Powers
- Practice and routine from video or make your own. Show the routine without “superpowers”.
- Have a discussion on superheroes and students’ superpowers. Students choose a super power and a pose that reflects this.
- Dance routine with the superhero pose.
- To extend this activity, students can guess the super power instead of sharing it with the group.
- To extend this activity, they can further create a story with movement. How can they specifically improve the world with their super powers?
More SEL Movement Games from Dancing with Class:
- Self-Awareness: What is Your Emoji?
- Self-Management: Don’t You Budge!
- Social Awareness: Mirrors
- Relationship Skills: May I Have This Dance?
EduMotion: SEL Journeys – experiential learning for classrooms around the world.
Also, check out some of our videos from our programs!